Sunday, February 27, 2011

We love blossoms

These nectarine blossoms popped out right around Valentine's day. I've had a big vase full in my entryway ever since. I take blossoms personally--as if God created them just for me. Every time I see them my heart does a little leap. I often think of this poem by AE Housman
Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my three score years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have blossom-- they seem surreal when I look out at my snowy yard.

Brandan and Becky said...

I've never seen a nectarine tree before-- plenty of apricot and peach trees. You have an embarrassment of riches.

Mitchell Family said...

Michelle, I must say I feel the same way when I see pictures with snow. I forget how beautiful snow is. Becky, I love that phrase "an embarrassment of riches." It describes my yard perfectly. Sometimes, when people say something nice about my yard, I try to downplay it--mention all it's faults. But that response seems ungrateful. I wish I was better at getting across my bewildered gratitude that I have so much goodness in my life.

Christy said...

oh I love that poem. Thanks for sharing, though it makes waiting 4 more months for my blossoms that much harder!