Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Dinner with Blueberry Tarts

Dinner: Coq au Vin (French chicken stew), green beans,
red potatoes, crusty bread, mini-blueberry tarts

Guests: Isa Sabey and her daughters: Chloe and Lily
(Ben is at a Conference in Quebec)



Not only are Zoey and Chloe a good pair because their names rhyme but because they make excellent blueberry tarts. I haven't made these tarts for a few years not since the great blueberry picking outing in Texas. I forgot how simple and delicious they are. Recipe to follow.




Isa and Ruth

The Sabey's are another great family in our Ward. Isa is a massage therapist and modern dancer and lots of fun to talk to. Ben is getting his PhD in music composition. He is out of town for a couple weeks at a music conference where one of his pieces is being performed. Which surprised me because somehow I got the idea that Ben's music is so cutting edge and avant garde that it wasn't the sort anyone really listened to. I guess sometime when he is in town I'll have to invite them over again and have him play something for us. Chloe is 3 and Lily is 1.



The secret to Will's blueberry blue eyes: eating lots and lots of blueberries.


Mini Blueberry Tarts
from Martha Stewart Kids

1 cup plus 2 T flour
4 T powder sugar
6 T cold butter
2-3 T cold water

Mix flour sugar and butter in food processor. Slowly pour in water until a dough forms. (The recipe has you chill the dough at this point. I just ignored that.) Roll out on a floured surface till dough is slightly thinner than a 1/4 inch. Using a biscuit cutter or bottom of a glass cut out 2 1/2 inch rounds and press gently into mini muffin tins. If needed clump extra dough together and roll out again.


I did this step Saturday night and put the muffin tin in the freezer. That way we didn't have too much of a mess on Sunday but if you just can't wait for blueberry tarts you can storm on ahead.

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 T cornstarch
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 t freshly grate lemon zest
2 cups blueberries

Mix together and spoon into tart shells. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool for about 20 min. Scoop tarts out of the muffin tin with a spoon. I have no idea how long they keep. I've never seen them stay around more than an hour.

In theory you could make these tarts with frozen blueberries but it wouldn't be the same.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

TX Girl said...

I'd also argue it isn't the same when you haven't hand picked the berries with a group of friends- although you would have missed the ridiculous heat. I actually gave up picking this year.. toooo hot. I think this recipe is my favorite Ruth Mitchell find.

Looks like a lovely party.

kim said...

Oh my gosh does Will look like John!

Ruth, I'm so glad I saw this link from Isa's blog! How are you?!!!! I sent you a long overdue package and hope that all is well for you guys!