Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Halloween--just 20 days late


I was feeling pretty pleased with myself that I was getting around to blogging Halloween so soon. It was just last week wasn't it? I guess not. I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving and then Christmas, yikes! If I had just one photo of Halloween this year it would be the one of Will trick-or-treating above. This was the first year he really understood Halloween and he loved it. He was a tireless trick-or-treater. Growling for anyone who asked. Trotting from house just as fast as his little legs would take him.

Thanks to my friend Beth, John and Will had darling costumes. Beth bought them at Old Navy last year the day after Halloween and gave them to me. She had just witnessed my last minute agonizing to pull together costumes for four kids and thought I could use some help. Besides they were such a great deal she said she had to buy them even if I didn't use them. Use them I did because once again I foolishly decided to try a last minute sewing project. The world would be a safer place if I didn't think I could sew. But after much seem ripping and letting the boys run dangerously wild for two days I had a princess costume--an original Ruth design--for Zoey.


I don't know that the costume adds much--Zoey is so obviously a princess whatever she wears. But I felt I had to do something because Lizzy and my mom had got together and come up with the most ridiculously complicated plan for her costume. She wanted to be Queen Elizabeth.

The Virgin Queen was never this cute.



Not surprisingly, Lizzy's costume was a lot of work and though my mom is a much more accomplished seamstress, she too suffered a little bit of costume remorse. For a week the costumes ate up all our time and patience. But the girls loved them so much, it seems almost worth it. And if they don't grow too much they can wear them next year.

By the way I want to pass on the boys costumes. Will's is size 2 and John's is size 4. If you are interested let me know. I'll even mail them if needs be. Ruth


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linn said...

The boys' costumes are SO cute and the girls' costumes are absolutely incredible! Wow is all I can say.

Brandan and Becky said...

I understand costume remorse, but I also understand wanting to sew costumes-- the fabrics for the dresses match the styles so well, the dresses complement each other and Lizzy and Zoe without being too match-y. Just lovely. Sophie designed her own costume, too, and it worked out pretty well, except the neck was HUGE. We just pinned in it the back-- the lovely thing about Halloween costumes, you don't have to be too picky. I figure it's good practice for the modest prom dresses we'll be sewing in a few years (and hopefully not pinning in the back.)