Saturday, February 5, 2011

We love #5:Saturday


I think by most people's standards we have pretty boring Saturdays. We clean rooms, we clean bathrooms, we do yard work. But there is this blessed slowness to all this work. For some reason I don't feel the pressure of a normal weekday. Everyone is relaxed and cheerful. There is no rush. In the middle of weeding the boys take off to the dirt pile and start digging. Zoey putters with her bed of flowers. Lizzy wanders to the piano. Almost all the doors and windows are left open. The house is full of sunshine and the yard is full of children.


One of the things we did today was pick oranges. Our navels are finally ripe and so delicious--but messy. I find it best to eat one over the sink. We harvested another less common, but equally delicious fruit today. Bonus points to those who can identify the green spiky fruit in the foreground.

4 comments:

Ken said...

Biriba fruit is absolutely delicious. Your yard is a paradise.

Brandan and Becky said...

Oh, I was going to guess cherimoya. Looks like I was wrong.

Mollie said...

Oh, you're making me homesick for San Diego. It's no fair talking about all that sunshine and time in the yard this time of year. Your yard is a paradise - can't wait to visit again someday.

Ken said...

Brandan and Becky are correct that it is Cherimoya. My error, no bonus points for me.
Love,
Dad