Thursday, February 13, 2020

I wrote a book!




My book DELETED was published on Jan. 7, 2020. Right now it is available on Amazon and at Immortal Works.
On my launch day I did a fun interview live on Instagram with Author Karin Biggs. I hoped to post the interview here but we lost it. So we’ll just haver to make to do with my written answers. (I promise I’m much more charming in person.)
Karin: Tell us a little bit about who you are and how you became a writer.
Me: I always wanted to be a writer, probably since kindergarten. As a child I wrote plays for the neighborhood kids. I was obsessed with my plays. I would sell my toys to earn enough money to buy 2x4s to build scenery. In high school I was the editor of the newspaper and the literary magazine. But sometime around college the dream to write fiction seemed too big and unrealistic and I set it aside to study journalism. After quitting work as reporter to raise my children, I would scribble away on my fiction in my spare time. But it took me forever to finish my first book—and even then it wasn’t that good. But then I wrote another and another and the dream of being a writer seemed possible.
Karin: What is DELETED about?
Me: It’s set in the near future and it’s about some college kids (with the help of an older sister) who figure out how to hack into other people’s memories. But then someone starts messing with their memories. There’s a lot of action and romance and quite a bit of science and philosophy.
Karin: When did you start writing DELETED and what sparked the idea for the book?
Me: I started it November 2011. I started querying agents in 2013. Needless to say, the road to publication was long and discouraging.
The idea for the book came from a life-long habit of accidentally saying rude things. My family even has a term for it: “Ruthisms.” A Ruthism is a compliment that somehow is more of an insult. So many nights I lay on my pillow thinking of all the dumb things I’ve said or done during the day, wishing I could erase them. I still do that.
Karin: How many drafts did you write? Did you have CP’s, editor, writing group?
Me: I honestly can’t say how many drafts. I don’t think I want to know. I would guess 15-20. I wrote this book in so many POVs, tenses, different starting points, you name it. I wrote the first three drafts without a writing group. Then I joined SCBWI and found my writing group. And, wow, they were such a big help. A writing group is the sweet spot for criticism. Your friends might be too nice. Your family can be too harsh. Only a writer who knows just how hard it is to write a book can give the right amount of criticism. As a side note, most of my original writing group came to my first launch party. It meant so much to have them there.

Karin: What is your publishing story? (Did you do any pitch contests, querying, conferences, etc.)
Me: This is a long and arduous story. I’ll try to keep it brief. Started querying Nov. 2013. Lots of close calls with agents a lot more rejections. This went on for six years—six years!— until at the very beginning December 2018, I got another form rejection. And I don’t know why; but it just broke me. I called a writer friend sobbing and she gave me a great piece of advice. Some books do better with small publishers than agents. The next day I entered the PitMad contest. I received two requests both from small publishers. In a month I signed my contract with Immortal Works. If you want the longer more tear-filled version of this story read this blog post.
Karin: Are any of your characters inspired by real people?
Me: Yes! Mollie the perfect housewife who figures out to hack into her husband’s memories is based off of my friend Mollie. She is both a computer engineer and a mini Martha Stewart. Such a fun combination—I had to put it in a book. After I wrote the book, I sent her a copy to see if it was okay that I stole her name. She loved it and has been one of my biggest fans.
Karin: What was your favorite scene to write?
Me: I loved writing the scenes where I had to use imagery to explain the brain and memory. I love the image of the brain as a universe. Which works because fun fact: the brain has as many neurons as the Milky Way has stars. Think about that! We all have a galaxy in our heads.
Karin: What was the most challenging scene to write?
Me: Kissing scenes. They are tricky and hard to get just right. Because they are really important but easy to get wrong. My husband who is not in it for the mush was always saying, “There’s too much kissing!” My editor asked me for more. I think I found the right balance. I do think my husband liked it when I asked him to practice kissing with him whenever I was trying to figure out hand placement and stuff.
Karin: What advice do you have for aspiring authors?
Me: I think I’ve given a lot of it in this interview.
1. Join a writing group 2. Don’t give up! 3. Maybe give small publishers a try.
Karin: What’s next for you?
Me: I’ve outlined and started a sequel for DELETED. I’ve written a romantic comedy. I’m hoping to publish. I’ve also outlined seven other books I want to write, ranging from Rom Com to fantasy to historical fiction. So a lot more writing!

No comments: